Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Real Ugly Betty

It's Halloween and, as usual, I am completely unprepared for the myriad of costumed events on the docket. So it looks like I'm dressing up as the Ghost of Halloween Past and recycling a costume from two years ago (which, in my defense, didn't really go out to parties as much as it was used to help a friend pass out candy at her house in Grosse Pointe). And that means it's time to dig out some videos from the vaults.

Betty Butterfield is the creation of
Chuck Knipp, a drag comedian best known for his controversial yet totally hilarious character Shirley Q. Liquor, a poor black Southern woman, which he performs in blackface. That really seems to be asking for trouble, you think? He has a couple cd's available - you can check out Shirley's website here - and as a special bonus for Supergay Detroit readers, I've uploaded the funniest sketch ever - the Preflight Checklist for Ebonics Airways, for your listening pleasure.

Betty Butterfield is a character he developed later, in the format of a video blog. She is a poor white Southern woman who discusses the trials of her life and her search for a church she can live with. It's one of those things where the more you watch it the more you get it, however I am not going to condemn you to an hour of watching Betty Butterfield videos (although you can find many on YouTube, or at the unofficial Betty Butterfield website
http://www.mmmhellooo.com/).

I'll be on the prowl as Betty this Halloween, so be sure to say hi if you see me. And with that, I present a primer course in the passion of Betty Butterfield.



OK, that's enough of that taking up space on here - I've uploaded more onto a playlist over on my YouTube account. Check them out!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...