Thursday, November 1, 2007

Just Breathe

So clearly Halloween was a bit of a bust on the "finding the gay in Detroit" front, although if there is one thing I've learned about the gay scene here is it's always where you don't expect it (and rarely where you do).

One area I have not explored at all is Detroit's theater community. I know there are gay people involved in theater - not just because "duh" but also because I've befriended some of them during my time in Detroit - but is there really a gay patron of these arts?

Well I start exploring this weekend, because I am going to see the Breathe Art Theatre Project's production of "As Bees In Honey Drown." The only other recent local theater production I've seen was by Breathe last spring, when they had their mind-blowingly awesome production of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" at the 1515 Broadway theater. Man, that was great. And as I recall, I did recognize some gays in the audience.

"As Bees In Honey Drown" is another show with a gay angle, although I don't know exactly what that angle is. The blurb from Breathe says:

"A comic satire on the lure of success and contemporary pop culture, As Bees…tells the story of a young writer who gets caught up in a lifestyle that blurs the line between fantasy and reality. Faced with the prospect of fame and fortune, he is seduced by a witty and wicked socialite Alexa Vere de Vere. Following this discovery is a deliciously sticky romp through the worlds of art, literature and film in the company of fabulous people, and even more fabulous con artists."

I also don't have any idea if there is gay interest in this kind of thing. I suppose I will find out. It is playing Friday and Saturday for the next three weeks (and 2pm on Sunday, Nov 11 for the bluehairs) at The Furniture Factory in midtown (4126 3rd Street). It's supposed to be hilarious (I checked out some reviews). Go.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...